Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Where no Asian has gone before...Film...I mean...Space!"


John Cho kicked ass in Star Trek. 

Yes, I am Asian and not a "trekkie" (treky? treckee?) so I had to read up online about Cho's role of Sulu.  What made me first gravitate towards making this our first post was actually because I had thought they had just put an Asian guy in a big hollywood film. I was like:

"Sweet! John Cho is probably playing some guy that used to be white in the actual show!"

Little did I know the history behind Sulu is actually a lot more ground breaking.

This is George Takei, original Sulu from Star Trek. One of the first positively portrayed Asians on film (stateside). Apparently, his character kicked ass on the show too. I feel like Sulu was one of the cooler, more memorable characters in the new film so I'm sure he was a crowd favorite in the show as well. 

What's good is Cho is a pretty recognizable face (since Harold and Kumar) and may bring some interest towards such a ground-breaking character. It will hopefully bring him some more depth (or attempt to) as an actor than the shadow cast by his beloved stoner character. All in all, I think a section from the sheknows.com interview with Cho sheds light on our mission here on m00g00 and why it exists:

SheKnows: Something I wanted to ask you about is how George (Takei), was one of the first, if not the first, Asian-American actors on TV…

John Cho: Yeah…(sighs)

SheKnows: What an influence that was on you. In the press conference you said you used to yell at your parents to come quick because you didn’t know when the Asian man would disappear.

John Cho: Yes (laughs)!

Don't disappear Asian on TV! We need you!

Good shit Sulu. m00g00

No comments:

Post a Comment